Over the years, we’ve seen significant grout advances because there are new options, and a grout that is easy clean and stain resistant will always be the winning factor when choosing grout.
You may have heard the term epoxy grout being used recently, and there are plenty of reasons why it’s creating buzz and why we use it in ALL of our tile regrouting services.
Which grout would you choose?
If you were offered the option of a grout that was:
- Available in many colour options
- Was stain resistant
- It was easy to clean
- Is mould resistant
- Was hygienic and durable
- It is faster to apply and dry with less clean up
- It is slightly more expensive than the alternative
OR would you choose a grout that had was:
- Available in limited colour options
- Is porous
- Is easily stained
- It isn’t easy to clean
- Will chip and crumble
- It is messy to apply and clean up
So did you choose the first option? If you did, you chose Epoxy grout!
Common grout that is used is cement-based. Cement naturally absorb water and it is porous so it will stain become discoloured and over time crack and crumble.
Epoxy grout is a high-performance solution made from epoxy resins, making it highly durable, virtually stain-proof, mould resistant, and easy to clean!
Epoxy grout was initially developed for industrial applications, particularly in the aerospace and marine industries. A high-performance, durable, waterproof grout was needed to withstand harsh conditions and extreme temperatures.
Epoxy grout was originally designed and used used to fill gaps and joints in metal, fibreglass, composite materials, seal, and waterproof surfaces for industrial purposes especially in the marine industry.
Due to its durability and resistance to stains, epoxy grout then gained popularity in the commercial construction industry, particularly in high foot traffic areas like shopping centre flooring or situations that required high hygiene standards, such as commercial kitchens and hospitals.
Epoxy Grout Is Readily Available
Today, epoxy grout is widely used in residential and commercial tile installations, providing a long-lasting and low-maintenance solution for homeowners and businesses.
It is increasingly requested to be used within homes and residential areas, particularly kitchens, splash backs, showers, and bathrooms and this is because of the mould resistance and stain resistance , cleaning is much easier and the grout will remain fresh and clean for many years.
There are plenty of colour options available, and if you wish to have white grout on your floors or in your bathrooms – Imagine never having to worry about mould, stains or discolouration.
No more oil stains or tomato sauce stains on a kitchen splash back grout, so you can put the bleach away as your splash back will only need a regular wipe over!
Epoxy Grout Benefits
Being a high-performance product, epoxy grout is more expensive, but do it once and do it, right! It so many more advantages over traditional cement-based grout, making it an excellent choice for any homeowner.
Here are six benefits of choosing epoxy grout in your home:
- Resistant to Stains and Water Damage: Epoxy grout is highly resistant to water damage and stains, making it an excellent choice for bathrooms, kitchens, and other moisture-prone areas. Unlike porous cement grout, which can absorb water and stains, epoxy grout is impervious to water. It is resistant to oil, grease, and other substances that can stain or discolour the grout.
- Easy to Clean: Because of its resistance to stains and water damage, epoxy grout is easy to clean and maintain. It does not require regular sealing; you can easily clean it with mild detergent and water. Epoxy grout also resists mould and mildew growth, making it an excellent choice for humid environments.
- Durable: Epoxy grout is incredibly durable and long-lasting. It is more resistant to cracking, chipping, and breaking than cement grout and can withstand heavy foot traffic and wear and tear. This durability makes epoxy grout an excellent choice for high-traffic areas like entryways, hallways, and commercial spaces.
- Colour Consistency: Epoxy grout is available in a wide range of colours, and unlike cement grout, the colour is consistent throughout the entire grout line. If you need to repair or touch up your grout, the colour will match perfectly, providing a seamless and uniform look.
- Easier to Apply: Epoxy grout is easier to apply than cement grout because it has a smoother, more uniform consistency. Making it easier to spread and ensuring that the grout lines are even and consistent.
- Faster Drying Time: Epoxy grout also sets more quickly than cement grout so that the work will be completed faster and there is no need to clean all of the tiled areas.
It offers superior durability, resistance to water damage and stains, and ease of maintenance, and it also provides a beautiful and uniform look to any tile installation.
Regrouting means you can replace old grout with epoxy grout.
Regrouting removes the old grout between tiles and replaces it with new grout and It is typically done when the existing grout is stained, cracked, or deteriorated.
The typical regrouting Leaking Showers Sealed performs is due to grout no longer being waterproof which causes the shower to leak and require the shower to be repaired and waterproofed again. When the grout has cracked or chipped there is an entry way for water to start creating expensive water damage to your shower area and surrounding walls and floors
Here are some signs that it may be time to regrout:
- Discoloured grout: Over time, grout can become discoloured due to dirt, mildew, or other factors. If your grout is discoloured and no cleaning improves its appearance, it may be time to regrout.
- Cracked or chipped grout: Water can seep through and damage the underlying surface if the grout between your tiles is cracked or chipped. Regrouting can help to prevent this damage and keep your tiles in good condition.
- Loose or missing grout: If you notice some grout between your tiles is loose or missing, it may be time to regrout. Loose or missing grout can allow dirt, moisture, and other debris to accumulate, which can lead to further damage over time.
- Outdated or unattractive grout: If you’re tired of looking at outdated or unattractive grout, regrouting can help give your tiles a fresh, updated look.
We use epoxy grout in our regrouting projects because of its superior durability and resistance to stains and water damage. The work we typically do is due to cement grout failing and allowing water to seep into tiles areas, and homeowners find themselves with leaking showers or leaking balconies.
Epoxy grout is impervious to water and resistant to oil, grease, and other substances that can discolour or stain grout, so it is ideal for regrouting in bathrooms and kitchens.
Using epoxy grout for regrouting projects will improve the appearance and functionality of tiled surfaces while providing a long-lasting and low-maintenance solution for homeowners and businesses alike.
Be aware that not all tile regrouting services offer epoxy grouting OR they may only use epoxy on the shower floor and replace the grout on the walled areas with cement based grout.
Always check when you are getting quotes.
So whether you’re installing new tiles or regrouting old tiles, check that epoxy grout is available for the tiling work you require and you will have a superior result that will last for years.
Get in touch with Leaking showers Sealed
We operate across Western Sydney, The Hills District and The North Shore